Berry Beet Bowl (makes 2 small or 1 large bowl)
Smoothie bowls make a nice change from regular smoothies. Experiment and get inventive with your toppings!
- 125g fresh or frozen berries (eg. raspberry, blackberry, blackcurrant, red current, blueberries)
- ¼ fresh fennel bulb
- ½ a beetroot (if its very large, just use a quarter)
- 2 dessertspoons of flax seeds
- ½ an avocado
- ½ a lime (I cut off the peel and put the flesh in rather than just squeezing the juice)
- 150ml dairy free milk (I use hemp)
Put all the ingredients in the blender and whizz until smooth. It should be a thicker consistency than a normal smoothie (you can adjust by adding more or less liquid). Spoon into bowls and top with any of the following, or whatever else you fancy:
- more berries or chopped fruit
- chopped mint
- flaked or desiccated organic coconut
- lightly toasted nuts and seeds
- toasted buckwheat groats
DID YOU KNOW
- The berries in this bowl are rich in anti-oxidants (such as proanthocyanidins), which help protect our cells from oxidative damage from free radicals.
- Frozen berries are great cost effective way to eat these fruits all year round. If you plan ahead, going berry picking in the summer when they are in season and readily available at picking farms or in the hedgerows and freezing them, can see you all the way through winter.