Crunchy Green Pomegranate Salad with Zingy Dressing (Serves 2)
This salad makes a lovely lunch or accompaniment to main meals. I love adding fruit to salads for that fresh, slightly sweet flavour and a bit of extra crunch.
For the Salad:
- 30g (2 big handfuls) baby kale leaves
- 1/2 an avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced (using a mandolin if you have one)
- 1/2 an apple, thinly sliced (using a mandolin if you have one)
- 2 sprigs of dill, roughly chopped
- A handful of pomegranate seeds
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced.
For the Zingy Dressing:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- A twist of salt and pepper
Combine the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust the flavour as needed.
Place all of the salad ingredients (except the dill, spring onion and pomegranate seeds) in a large salad bowl. Pour over the dressing and gently toss. Sprinkle the chopped dill, spring onion and pomegranate seeds over the top and serve.
DID YOU KNOW
- The pomegranate is a fruit that contains hundreds of edible seeds called arils. They are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals and bioactive plant compounds.
- Pomegranate juice has been found to have three times the antioxidant activity of red wine and green tea.
- The punicalagins in pomegranate juice have been shown to reduce inflammation, one of the leading drivers of many chronic diseases.