Golden Soup (Butternut squash, turmeric, chickpea and kale)
This soup is a real winter warmer and one my mum often cooks for me when I go home. It’s a bit like a hug in a bowl.
- 1 x onion (finely diced)
- 3 x garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 x celery stick (finely diced)
- ½ butternut squash (cut into bite size chunks)
- 3 big leaves cavelo nero (stalks removed and roughly chopped)
- 1 tspn ground ginger or 2cm fresh ginger root (grated)
- ½ tspn turmeric powder or 3-4cm fresh turmeric root (grated)
- 60g chickpea flakes
- 750ml vegetable stock (I use two tbspn marigold bouillon in 750ml water)
- 2 tspn coconut oil
- Handful of chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
Gently heat the coconut oil in a deep pan over a low – medium flame. Add the onions, garlic, celery and squash and cook down for 7-10 mins, stirring regularly. Add the turmeric and ginger and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Then add the chickpea flakes and stock. Bring to the boil before reducing the heat so it is gently pippling. Put the lid on and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped kale and cook for 5-10 minutes more. Spoon into bowls and garnish with parsley.
DID YOU KNOW
- Turmeric is a warming spice, so great in winter. It has been widely researched and has been shown to have potent anti-inflammatory properties, decreases cancer risk, and supports detoxification.
- Use of turmeric in recipes can also help us retain the beta-carotene in certain orange and dark green foods. So combining turmeric with butternut squash and kale, as in this recipe, is the perfect combo!