Roasted Rainbow Veg (Serves 2)
- 4 rainbow carrots (or 2 normal carrots and 2 parsnips if you can’t find rainbow ones)
- 4 baby leeks (tops and tails trimmed)
- 4 baby courgettes
- 4 garlic cloves (whole in their skins)
- 2 tspn cumin seeds
- 2 tspn black onion/nigella seeds
- 2 sprigs on thyme
- 1 tbspn olive oil
- 1/2 tspn salt and a generous twist of black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees (gas mark 4).
Top and tail the carrots and cut them into quarters lengthways (so you have long thin strips). Spread them out on a baking tray with the whole baby leeks, courgettes and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the cumin seeds and black onion seeds. Toss well so all the veg is nicely coated. Add the two sprigs of thyme to the tray and season with salt and pepper.
Place the tray on the oven and roast for around 30 mins or until the veg is tender and cooked through (you can test it by sticking a knife in).
DID YOU KNOW
- The colours in rainbow carrots occur naturally from traditionally bred heirloom seeds. Their different colours provide a variety of different nutrients.
- Red carrots contain lycopene (important for healthy eyes and a healthy prostate). Orange carrots contain beta-carotene (an antioxidant and the precursor to vitamin A). Yellow carrots contain lutein (also important for eye health) and purple carrots contain anthocyanin (the same flavonoids that give blueberries their colour and antioxidant capacity).